1st Track Meet of the Season.. & of my LIFE.

Thursday, April 16, 2009

We had our 1st Track Meet of the season! We (athletes & coaches included) felt unprepared, but we were excited! I was not expecting the meet to run smoothly, however, I was pleasantly surprised. Jeff & I took on track mainly for the kids. We were already overwhelmed by what we had on our plate, but nobody else was willing to take it on. Jeff & I both agreed we'd rather struggle through the season & make time for it than leave several students missing out on something they were anxious to be a part of. 

We began practices about a week & a 1/2 before Spring Break. We had between 25-30 kids show up for practice each day. The majority of them had little to no athletic training or previous involvement with any for of recreation (let alone organized sport). Jeff & I quickly realized that this would be a learning experience for us, as coaches, & as well as the athletes. 

Our first meet was Wednesday (the Wednesday right after Spring Break). I was stressed the day of. I was concerned we wouldn't have transportation for all of our athletes, the school system does not provide any assistance & coaches are advised NOT to give rides to athletes (I'm not sure that we'd be able to, our little Echo has seatbelts for 5 but seating for about 3). I was pleasantly surprised, several parents volunteered and showed up to transport their sons/daughters, as well as any others. 

We had been given very little information regarding the meet. We know when & where to show up, but that was about it. I regarded the lack of information as a sign of disorganization & poor planning (in typical Guam fashion) but the events ran smoothly. The only glitch was in the schedule of events. The coaches had been given a different schedule than what was being followed at the meet. Regardless, our athletes were able to finish, and several were decent competitors. I was so proud of our athletes! They all worked really hard and definitely did their best, which is all we asked of them!

1 Meet down, 4 more to go!

0 comments:

 
Talk it Easy, Lemon Squeezy... Design by Pocket